Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Happy Birthday Granny


It's one day late, but yesterday was my Granny's 100th birthday. I thought about her and how much I miss her. I remembered the "candy drawer" in her kitchen. It was lined with foil and full of candy bars and sweet tarts. In another drawer she hid her cigarettes in an old band-aid can...I found them and smoked them....sorry Granny. Her freezer was always stocked with ice cream "sand-witches" and orange push-ups.


She would love the daffodils blooming now. Her thrift has been in full bloom, and the white iris she gave us years ago have started to bloom. Granny always had a surprise for us. Whether it was her latest crochet project, or a bucket full of bitties that had just hatched out. I loved when we were staying with her and we would have our early morning trip to the Piggly Wiggly. Even though she lived on very little money, I remember her taking me to the candy aisle and telling me to get anything I wanted. That was Granny.


I hope she and Aunt Laverne celebrated her day together, although I know Aunt Laverne rubbed it in that she's the only relative to ever get a cake I decorated. I miss you Granny and hope you know how much you meant to me.....you were the best. I hope where ever you are you can see my yard and know you are always present in my heart every time I walk and look at my flowers. Happy Birthday Granny!

2 comments:

aims said...

Hey Lee! I'm finally getting back to the blog land. I see you got your playlist up and running. I love your song choices. Once again you pulled on my heart strings with one of your stories.

Also - Your family is in our prayers at this time. We love y'all and will be talking to you s oon

aims said...

PS - my computer battery was going dead when I left my last comment. I wanted to say that now more than ever, I feel like a part of your family. For I too have been blessed to have a decorated birthday cake by you. It was so pretty I "almost" didn't want to cut into it. But I knew how darn good your cakes are so I took lots of pictures before cutting it. =)

Y'all take care