Monday, June 22, 2009

Christmas in Summer

When I decorate for Christmas, I always take holly leaves and berries to decorate around our door. This past December when I went to the holly bush for my traditional clipping, I was surprised that there were no berries: Not one. I looked and looked and could not believe that huge bush that always has berries every Christmas was bare this time. So, I made due with the leaves and a few berries from a nandina bush.

Last week I was doing my gardening (in this 100 degree heat), and found myself next to the same holly bush. It was loaded with berries; The branches bending with the weight of all the berries. I thought it was strange to see them now. But at the same time it made me feel a glimmer inside. You know that special feeling you get during the holidays. It's different when you get older....and a little wiser. Not the excitement of what you're going to get or that Santa Claus is coming. It's a special feeling I get from the spirit of Christmas: The lights, the decorations, the tree, and yes what I will give every one. I love it all. When I saw those berries, I had that special feeling. I felt like nature was telling me "You're already half way thru another year, and Christmas will be here before you know it". I never cease to be amazed at what I learn in nature. The lessons are new every day. And this time, it shared the spirit of Christmas with me. There are signs all around us. We just have to be willing to slow down long enough to look and take them to heart.

No comments: