Thursday, June 26, 2008

Aunt Laverne


My Aunt Laverne died earlier this year. I think some people thought they really knew her, but didn't know much at all. She was tough.....tough as nails. If you spent much time with her, she could let you know how tough she was.


When I was a kid and got to go for a visit was a true adventure. You drove out in the country, and then had to drive back in the piney woods. As my Grandpa would have said, "She lives in the country...shore 'nuff". Her house was a simple, country house. The front porch was home to dozens of pots and old coffee cans overflowing with plants and flowers. This is where you'd probably find Aunt Laverne. Along with her would be my Uncle Clark, and Debbie would be close by. The house was furnished by Uncle Clark's finds from the dump or wherever else he might have gotten stuff. But, every thing was spic and span. They had added a bathroom years later on the back porch, but Debbie was still inclined to use the outhouse. Their outhouse is the only one I ever visited. I stuck my head in it, and got out straight away. She also had a corn crib and an old fashioned well that you had to draw the water up in a bucket. When I tried to do just that, Aunt Laverne heard the squeeking of the well tickle and came running around the house. She was scared we children would fall in. On more than one occasion she would come out of the house only to be greeted by a big fat rattlesnake. She just went back inside, grabbed the shotgun, and took care of the situation. She was fearless.


Aunt Laverne never had a modern convenience other than electricity and running water. She never had air conditioning or central heat. Didn't drive a car or have anything with a remote control. She never had cable t.v. or a push button phone. I still remember when she finally got a telephone. When she answered it she didn't know to say hello. She would answer by their last name, "GRINER!". She never had a vacation or a day off. Never went to a restaurant for a fancy meal. She raised her special daughter Debbie for over 50 years. Every day bathing and dressing Debbie, and cooking 3 times a day for her. After Uncle Clark passed away from cancer, there was Aunt Laverne still going strong. Mama and I surprised her on her 85th birthday with her first ever decorated cake. On this visit I offered to cut her grass. She let me know she liked to cut her own grass. When she told you things like that, you knew to drop the subject.


It's so easy to say "I need a vacation", or "I need some time to myself". We never heard her say anything like that. I know it had to be so hard and lonesome some days, but she never gave up the fight. She was a servant in every sense of the word, giving her all for Debbie. She lived for Debbie and did every thing she could for her. I hope I never forget her example. In the face of hard times, lonely times; When friends are few and family hard to find; When you feel so tired and worn out: That's when you have to put your head down and plow on through. It's alright to feel tired, but it's not alright to give up. She never gave up.


I know my Aunt Laverne loved me, and I always loved her. I can still see her sitting by my Grandma's dining table. It was in better times when all the family came together and spent the whole day together. Aunt Laverne had picked up a toy that one of us kids had, and she sat back in a chair roaring with laughter playing with that toy. That's how I will always remember her: Addie Laverne Griner.


Thankyou Aunt Laverne for all the laughs and for life lessons I'll never forget.


No comments: